Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why I Need Immersion

Every time I need to know the answer, more and more frequently SQL Skills is where I turn.  Is this because they increasingly have the answers?  No, they’ve always been there.  I am the one learning to ask the right questions.  I’ve learned more things, about more things, from their site in the past year then I have in the numerous years prior, working as a DBA.  I want to learn more, but where or how to start?  

The Master Immersion Event on Internals and Performance in Dallas, TX February 21 – 25  is the best place to get my learning into high gear.  From reviewing the agenda, this is a class I should have taken 5-10 years ago.  This is the class any SQL DBA needs to take early in their career.  Hopefully taking this class now will right my ship, putting me back on track to becoming a SQL rock star.  Until now, I’ve been adrift, almost aimlessly.  Everything is running OK, or so I think – users rarely complain.  But could thing be better?  Probably. Am I monitoring the right things?  Doubtful.  From some of the minor things I’ve picked up and implemented after reading the SQL Skills site, there are quiet improvements that can be made everywhere.  Now I want to take it to the next level, and start making not-so-quiet improvements; improvements of a SQL rock star.

No comments:

Post a Comment